2014 MCAS/PARCC Assessment Information
Sign up to Volunteer on a
Committee or to
help on a fundraising activity.
2013-2014 PTO Committee Descriptions
New Family Welcoming Committee: (Sept-June) Liaison: Tamara Maniscalco
Committee Co-Chairs: Sushil and Neeti Bhakatan
- Be a contact person for a family as they move into or relocate
within Burlington and join Francis Wyman Elementary; and
- Provide information about the town, school activities, PTO, etc.
Student Enrichment Program: (Sept - Dec - June) Liaison: Susan Astone
- Work with administration and staff to research and arrange
student enrichment programs throughout the year. These programs include but are not limited to
visits with authors and/or artists as well as assembly performance programs;
- Approximately 4 events every year;
- Notify teachers, Principal, PTO Co-Presidents, and Community of dates, times and
locations of programs;
- Liaison with presenter/performer or company; and
- Work with PTO Treasurer on projecting and tracking program expenses.
E-News & PTO Promotion: (Sept-Nov-Feb-May) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Chair: Cathi Myer
- Submit articles/information to newspapers and BCAT (Burlington Cable), and call photographer as requested from Staff and PTO;
- Research and develop new communication vehicles to promote and publicize the school and PTO; and
- Collect information (from staff, administration and PTO), type, publish and distribute
newsletter to families and staff. If you are interested in receiving the newsletter, please fill out the following form:
Fundraising (Sub-Committees): (Sept-June) Liaison: Rose Hatch
Coordinators vary based upon events
- Wrap/Gift Drive(Oct)
- Coupon Book (Nov)
- Spring Fundraiser (Apr)
- SCRIP Fundraiser (Oct - May) - Denise Griffin
- Box Tops for Education (Sept-June)- Cheryl Koczur
- Shop.com (Sept-June) - Liz DeVito and Andrea Gray
- Target -Take Charge of Education® (Sept-June)
Welcoming/Kindergarten Orientation: (Sept-June) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Chair: Carol Flett
- Organize PTO welcoming table at Kindergarten Orientation (two sessions) held in September;
- Help assist PTO in welcoming members; and
- Organize the activity for the Kindergarten Story Hours (three in the spring)
5th Grade Yearbook/Activities: (Sept-June) Liaison: TBD
Committee Chair: Jacki Pazzia (see Guidelines, adopted September 2002)
- Active throughout the year;
- Organize, design and publish a book of memories for the 5th grade class;
- Organize cake/refreshments for yearbook signing party held in June; and
- Coordinate design, purchase and distribution of 5th grade T-shirts to be worn at the
beach day field trip in June.
Teacher/Staff Appreciation Luncheon: (April-May) Liaison: Tamara Maniscalco
Committee Chair: TBD
- Organize and oversee a luncheon, tea or breakfast for all the staff held in May (Teacher Appreciation Day);
- Send out invitations, set up, serve and clean up function;
- Send notices to parents for volunteers to supply baked goods and provide recess/lunch duty for the event; and
- Purchase small token/gift for staff.
Family Carnival Planning Committee: (Oct-March) Liaison: Rose Hatch
Committee Co-Chairs: TBD
- Organize and oversee an annual event for the purpose of having a family-oriented
gathering at the school;
- Coordinate the parent and teacher volunteers for the event and
- Committee sub chairs:
- Calling - Natalie Brehm and Kristin Marshall
- Shopping - Yanna Valenin and Kristin Marshall
- Games - Rose Hatch and Joel Weltzman
- Cake Walk - Tracey Stevens
- Prizes - Julie Marino
- Volunteer Coordinators - Urvi Agarwalla and Joey Weltzman
- Raffle Donations - Deb Cote and Neeti Bhakaran
- Food - Debbie Dew
Fall Marketplace: (Sept-Nov) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Co-Chairs: Jeanne McDonald and Andrea Gray
- Organize and oversee an annual event that includes crafters for the purpose of
having a community fair;
- Coordinate the parent volunteer for the event; and
- Help set up and break down of the event.
Field Day: (June) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Chair: Steve Melo
- Assist Phys. Ed. Department with necessities for event, including set-up of tents and water distribution centers; and
- Coordinate the parent volunteers for the event
Library/Bookstore: (Sept-June) Liaison: Rose Hatch
Committee Co-Chairs: Carol Flett
- Participants in this committee volunteer during the day in the library and at the school's "Used Bookstore";
- Coordinate volunteers to assist the Librarian for possible Book Fair event; and
- Organize library volunteers.
Other Volunteer Opportunities: Liaison: Rose Hatch
- For this committee there is no pressure to commit to a particular event, but you can
indicate what you would be willing to do based on your availability.
- You may be willing to be placed "on call" for special occasions in which a
little help is needed.
- Perhaps you could help out by sharing a special talent. For example if you sew,
you might be willing to help with costumes for the musical shows.
- Photocopying for PTO flyer distribution and/or teacher projects.