2013 MCAS Schedule
Sign up to Volunteer on a
Committee or to
help on a fundraising activity.
2012-2013 PTO Committee Descriptions
New Family Welcoming Committee: (Sept-June) Liaison: Tamara Maniscalco Committee Co-Chairs: Sushil and Neeti Bhakatan
- Be a contact person for a family as they move into or relocate
within Burlington and join Francis Wyman Elementary
- Where to find information about the town, school activities, PTO, etc.
Student Enrichment Program: (Sept - Dec - June) Liaison: Susan Astone
- Work with administration and staff to research and arrange
student enrichment programs throughout the year. These programs include but are not limited to
visits with authors and/or artists as well as assembly performance programs;
- Approximately 4 events every year.
- Notify teachers, Principal, PTO Co-Presidents, and Community of dates, times and
locations of programs
- Liason with presenter/performer or company
- Work with PTO Treasurer on projecting and tracking program expenses.
E-News & PTO Promotion: (Sept-Nov-Feb-May) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Chair: Cathi Myer
- Submit articles/information to newspapers and BCAT (Burlington Cable), and call photographer as requested from Staff and PTO.
- Research and develop new communication vehicles to promote and publicize the school and PTO.
- Collect information (from staff, administration and PTO), type, publish and distribute
newsletter to families and staff. If you are interested in receiving the newsletter, please sign up for here.
Fundraising:(Sub-Committees): (Sept-June) Liaison: Rose Hatch
Coordinators vary based upon events
- Wrap/Gift Drive (Oct)
- Coupon Book (Nov)
- Spring Fundraiser (Apr)
- SCRIP Fundraiser (Oct - May) - Cathi Myer
- Box Tops for Education (Sept/June)- Kristine Brown
- School Spirit Wear Sale (Sept/Oct) (Feb/March)
- Target -Take Charge of Education® (Sept-June)
Landscape/Beautification: (Fall/Spring) Liaison: Susan Astone
Committee Chair: Liz DeVito and Andrea Grey
- Responsible for organizing spring and fall clean-ups, plantings, and beautification
of the school grounds
- Works in co-operation with school administration and local organizations.
Welcoming/Kindergarten Orientation: (Sept-June) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Chair: Carol Flett
- Organize PTO welcoming table at Kindergarten Orientation (two sessions) held in September.
- Help assist PTO in welcoming members.
- Organize the activity for the Kindergarten Story Hours ( three in the spring)
5th Grade D.A.R.E. Graduation: (Dec) Liaison: TBD
5th Grade Yearbook/Activities: (Sept-June) Liaison: Sharon Duggan
Committee Chair: Sandra Calandrella (see Guidelines, adopted September 2002)
- Active throughout the year.
- Organize, design and publish a book of memories for the 5th grade class.
- Organize cake/refreshments for yearbook signing party held in June.
- Coordinate design, purchase and distribution of 5th grade T-shirts to be worn at the
beach day field trip in June.
Teacher/Staff Appreciation Luncheon: (April-May) Liaison: Tamara Maniscalco
Committee Chair: Becky Icken
- Organize and oversee a luncheon, tea or breakfast for all the staff held in May (Teacher Appreciation Day).
- Send out invitations, set up, serve and clean up function.
- Send notices to parents for volunteers to supply baked goods and provide recess/lunch duty for the event.
- Purchase small token/gift for staff.
Family Carnival Planning Committee: (Oct-March) Liaison: Rose Hatch
Committee Co-Chairs: Cathy Perry and Joanie Tremblay
- Organize and oversee an annual event for the purpose of having a family-oriented
gathering at the school.
- Coordinate the parent and teacher volunteers for the event.
Fall Marketplace: (Sept.-Nov.) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Co-Chairs: Jeanne McDonald, Dipti Patel and Neeti Bhakatan
- Organize and oversee an annual event that includes crafters for the purpose of
having a community fair.
- Coordinate the parent volunteer for the event
- Help set up and break down of the event
Field Day: (June) Liaison: Cheryl Johnson
Committee Chair: Steve Melo
- Assist Phys. Ed. Department with necessities for event, including set-up of tents and water distribution centers.
- Coordinate the parent volunteers for the event
Other Volunteer Opportunities: Liaison: Rose Hatch
- For this committee there is no pressure to commit to a particular event, but you can
indicate what you would be willing to do based on your availability.
- There are oppotunities to volunteer during the day in the library and at
the school's "Used Book Store".
- You may be willing to be placed "on call" for special occassions in which a
little help is needed.
- Perhaps you could help out by sharing a special talent. For example if you sew,
you might be willing to help with costumes for the musical shows.